How Can We Help You?
Processes, Permits, and Applications
|Types of Permits|
|Service||Cost||Minimum Review Time||Notes|
|Note: All Fees are doubled if construction or installation takes place prior to obtaining required permits!|
|Zoning Permit/Certificate of Zoning Compliance||$25||2 to 5 days||administrative review only|
|Zoning Permit/ Plot Plan required||$50||2 to 5 days||administrative review only|
|Zoning Permit/ Site Plan required||$100||30 days minimum||multiple agencies reviewing|
|Sign Permit||$25||1 to 2 weeks||administrative review only|
Zoning Verification Letter
|$25||2 to 5 days||administrative review only|
|Special Use Permit||$175||60 days minimum||Planning Commission & Council hearings required|
|Rezoning Application||$175||60 days minimum||Planning Commission & Council hearings required|
|Zoning Ordinance Amendment||$250/ section||60 days minimum||Planning Commission & Council hearings required|
|Variance||$175||6 weeks minimum||BZA hearing required|
|Special Exception||$175||6 weeks minimum||BZA hearing required|
Appeal to Board of Zoning Appeals
|$175||6 weeks minimum||BZA hearing required|
|Preliminary Subdivision Site Plan Review||$$$$||varies||Admin. review for 3 lots or less|
|Final Subdivision Site Plan Review||$$$$||varies||Admin. review for 3 lots or less|
Survey Plat Certification/ Lot Line Vacation
|$25||varies||Admin. review for 3 lots or less|
|Copy of Zoning Ordinance||$50||1 bus. day for printing||recommend online town code for free|
|Copy of Subdivision Ordinance||$50||1 bus. day for printing||recommend online town code for free|
|Copy of Comprehensive Plan||$50||at time of payment||limited number of bound color copies available|
Applications for Rezoning, Special Use Permits, Major Subdivisions (4 lots or more), Variances, and Special Exceptions are due at least 6 weeks prior to the first public hearing.
- Application for Zoning Permit/ Certificate of Zoning Compliance
- Sign Permit Application
- Applications to the Board of Zoning Appeals (Variances, Special Exceptions, Appeals of Zoning Administrator Determinations, etc.)
- Special Use Permit Application
- Rezoning/ Conditional Zoning Application
- Subdivision Application
- Site Plan Review Checklist (For Engineers, Surveyors, Architects, Landscape Architects for subdivisions and all construction other than single or two family residential units)
Special Use Permit Process
The uses permitted in a zoning district are classified in two ways: by-right uses and special uses.
By-right uses, which are specified in the Zoning Ordinance, do not require special permission. They simply require a site plan and in some instances a building permit. Special uses are also specified in the Zoning Ordinance but require an application to and approval from the Town Council. A Special Use Permit allows for certain land uses in a given zoning district that generally require a more in depth study than uses permitted "by-right". Special Use Permits are generally subject to certain conditions to insure that the use is appropriate to the area. In order to receive a special use permit, the applicant must:
Demonstrate that the proposed use will be in conformity with the statement of intent of the specific district in which it will be located and the Comprehensive Plan.
Demonstrate that the proposed use will not have an adverse impact on the surrounding neighborhood.
Fulfill additional requirements for certain special uses. Please consult with the Zoning Administrator's Office to determine whether additional requirements apply.
A pre-submission conference between the applicant and the Zoning Administrator is recommended to discuss the proposal.
- Applicant submits application and required materials at least 6 weeks prior to the first public hearing with the Planning Commission.
- Zoning Administrator studies the application and prepares a staff report on the request.
- Notice of public hearings by the Planning Commission and Town Counsel must be published in the local newspaper for two consecutive weeks prior to the hearings. This is handled by Town Staff.
- Planning Commission reviews the application and staff report and holds a public hearing. Planning Commission makes a recommendation to Town Council.
- The Town Council holds a public hearing and makes a final decision on the permit.
- If approved, the applicant submits any required site plan that meets the Town's site plan requirements.
If you have any questions, please call the Planning Office at (434) 575-4241.
(Adobe Acrobat Reader required to read forms )