How Can We Help You?
Planning and Zoning Department
The planning staff can assist you with questions regarding a variety of topics including:
- new development and redevelopment;
- 911 addressing;
- zoning, subdivision, and land use;
- variances and special use permits;
- transportation planning;
- urban design;
The Planning Department exists to anticipate future needs and to implement orderly physical development in the Town of South Boston. It further exists to promote high community standards in a neighborly atmosphere and general knowledge of planning and zoning and to support the Board of Zoning Appeals and the Planning Commission. The Department also accomplishes this through site plan review, inspections, and issuance of permits.
The mission of the Planning Department is to manage growth and promote the highest quality of development by:
- articulating the community vision of the Comprehensive Plan,
- providing information and creative recommendations based on sound planning practice,
- explaining and enforcing land use regulations, and
- supporting all other Departments in fulfilling the Town Mission.
Specifically, the Planning Department plans, directs, and manages all aspects of of comprehensive planning, development administration, inspections, and mapping processes. The Department is also responsible for budget and grant proposal preparation and administration, and planning and designing capital improvement projects.
Important Note on Zoning and Subdivision Ordinances
If you are looking for online information on the Zoning (Chapter 114) and Subdivision (Chapter 94) Ordinances, please refer to the online Town Code
Zoning Map (2014-current)