How Can We Help You?

Popular Searches: Popular Page Searches

Planning and Zoning - Frequently Asked Questions

We understand that you may not always have the time to come in person, so this page is provided to you for your convenience. By reading this page, you could cut down your application's processing time greatly. Other questions may be answered in the Processes, Permits, and Applications page. If you are a developer or construction contractor in the area, it is highly advisable that you acquire and read the Town of South Boston Zoning and Subdivision Ordinances.


  • I'm building an addition to my house. What do I need to do?!

 Whenever you build an addition on your property, you must first check to see if what you are building is allowed by the zoning ordinance. Ask the zoning administrator or building official if you have questions. Most accessory uses such as sheds, pools, and carports are allowed in residential districts. A plot plan of your property with existing and proposed new structures drawn to scale must be brought in to the planning and engineering department in order for the zoning administrator and building official to issue zoning, building, and electrical permits.


  • When does the Planning Commission meet? The Board of Zoning Appeals?

 The South Boston Planning Commission meets on the first Wednesday of the month at 6:00pm and more often as required in the Town Chambers at 502 Yancey Street (directly behind the library on Broad Street). The Board of Zoning Appeals meets as required on the second Thursday of the month at 6:00pm. Refer to this website for meeting cancellation information.


  • I would like to buy a double-wide manufactured home and install it in town. What do I need to do?

 Double-wide manufactured homes are allowed by Special Use Permit in the R-1 through R-3 Residential Districts and the MHP Manufactured Home Park District. Currently, No land within the corporate limits of the town is zoned MHP. As with all new construction, make sure that the property is properly zoned and that a building permit has been issued.


  • How much does a permit cost?

 View a fee schedule for permits and services.


  •  I would like to install a sign. What permits are required?

 Call the Planning Office for permitting information.


  •  I am interested in starting a home business. What do I need to do?

Call the Planning Office for permitting information.


If you have any questions, please call the Planning Office at 575-4241.