How Can We Help You?
Address: 455 Ferry Street, South Boston, VA 24592
Ph: (434) 575-4214 Fx: (434) 575-4275
Hours: Monday - Friday
8:30 am - 5:00 pm
If you are receiving monetary compensation for products sold or services rendered, you will need a South Boston Town Business License. The Business License Form can be found in the Finance Department section of this website.
The following criteria that apply to your business must be met before you apply for a Town business license.
- All businesses located in the Town of South Boston must have zoning approval for the business location from the Planning & Zoning Office, located at 455 Ferry Street, (434) 575-4241.
- All businesses (except for corporations that are registered with the State of Virginia) must register the business name with the Clerk of Court's Office, located in the Halifax County Court House, Halifax, VA.
- All businesses dealing with food (restaurants, grocery & convenience stores) must have a health permit from the local Virginia State Health Department. Any business serving prepared food and beverages must sign up for Meals Tax at the Finance Office located at in the Town Finance Office.
- All businesses dealing with alcoholic beverages must have an ABC permit from the ABC Board (800) 552-3200.
- All businesses selling retail must register with the Virginia Department of Taxation(804) 367-8037.
- All contracting businesses with individual job costs of $1,001 or more must also have a Virginia State Contractors License and be bonded for $5,000 (Class A State License does not need the $5,000 bond). A Virginia State Contractors License can be obtained from the Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (804) 367-8511.
The Town of South Boston welcomes you and wishes you success in your new business.